Tuesday 26 June 2012

My RasPi has arrived

Shipped Raspberry Pi 

My Raspberry Pi finally has arrived! It was actually in the country almost 1 week ago, but then by the time it passed through customs and spent a few days not being delivered by DHL (somehow they couldn't find my office even though I was open).... I had missed a weekend of RasPi hacking opportunity, it finally showed up on my door on Monday. 

I plugged in my already-prepared SD card with Debian OS and it booted no problem! Worked perfectly with my wireless keyboard/mouse, HDMI, ethernet internet connection picked up, and I was out of the starting gate running!

Cost breakdown

So the final cost of the RasPi came down to the following, just in case some of you people out there are interested. Unfortunately the cost (although still cheap) almost doubles due to the stupid governments and shipping agents involved along the way from the UK and your hacking hands. Here's how it unfolded:

   $35.00  RASPBERRY PI
   $ 8.02  RA SHIPPING
   --------------------
   $43.02  TOTAL ($US)


Once it entered the country, added another $18.60 by Canada Customs ($7.30) and DHL ($11.30)...


   $45.39  TOTAL CONVERTED ($US -> $CAN)
   $ 2.81  ELECTRONIC MODULE GST
   $ 4.49  PROVINCIAL SALES TAX ON IMPORT
   $10.00  DHL PROCESSING FEE
   $ 1.30  DHL GST ON PROCESSING FEE
   --------------------------------------
   $63.99  TOTAL ($CAN)


While I believe it is still a worthwhile purchase for a useful computer, people seem to forget that even the cheapest devices will still have at least $20-30 added on to them (if not more) for duty and shipping, especially coming from Europe which has no free-trade agreement with Canada. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.